!Congratulations to the Winners of the International Women’s Day Exemplary Contest!
We’ve received many outstanding submissions for this student contest and selected the top 3 as below:
- 1st Place ($400): Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Peru
Title of the Event: Sinchi Warmi: Because technology is for her too
“Sinchi Warmi” was a special event to commemorate Women’s International Day where outstanding women in the communications technology sector talked about their experience and shared with us their knowledge. Its main purpose was to motivate girls and women to get involved in technology and not to be afraid of facing new challenges. In addition to that, we wanted to show them the relevance women have in this area and how important is working together (men and women) for technology development.
You can watch their video on Facebook: https://fb.watch/cP4xwLb2is/
- 2nd Place ($300): Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana – Iztapalapa
Title of the event: Women in engineering: from the classroom to the management position
The COMSOC chapter of the Metropolitan Autonomous University Iztapalapa conducted videos to promote gender equality in engineering to encourage women’s inclusion in the telecommunications sector. The videos contain information about the work environment perception of women with a profession in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM); and information about stereotypes and barriers that limit the opportunities for new generations of women engineers. The videos include interviews with female engineers who shared their experience working in telecommunications, encouraging engineering students. These videos were projected in an auditorium of the Metropolitan Autonomous University Iztapalapa and shared on the Facebook page of the COMSOC chapter. As a result, we hope to inspire more women to study engineering and contribute to the necessary cultural change that allows the formation of female leadership in engineering.
You can watch their video on Facebook: https://fb.watch/cP4NwLr4Il/
- Consolation Prize ($100): Kenyatta University
Title of the event: International Women’s Day
International Women’s day by ComSoc Kenyatta University Chapter was a hybrid distinguished expert lecture focusing on Network Operations. It was held on 31st March,2022 from 3:00pm to 6:00pm EAT. We had two guests who are women in the communications industry who joined us virtually. They shared knowledge regarding network design, scaling, maintenance and escalation. They also shared their journeys from school through to their respective working places. In addition, they shared tips to excel and encouraged students to work smart and assured them that the industry is rewarding.
You can watch their video on Facebook: https://fb.watch/cP4Pox353a/
- All IEEE ComSoc student members (undergraduate/postgraduate) can participate in this contest.
- Each team may comprise up to 6 student members for the organization, in which 50% of the team members should be affiliated to ComSoc.
Teams can select one of the following events to commemorate International Women’s day:
- High School Student Outreach event with at least one female student as a part of the outreach team to let them know what engineers do.
- Focused sessions to highlight the achievements of women in communication and technologies.
- An expert lecture with a technical focus, along with the experience shared by the woman in communication engineering.
- Any event that coincides with the theme of this contest.
- The participants can submit a video or collage capturing their event.
- The maximum video length is 180 seconds. All videos must be in English, or if in another language, must include English subtitles.
- The collage work must be realized with the pictures recording the event. Colleges must be accompanied by a title and a short description in English.
- The work must showcase imagination and creativity to balance technical and aesthetic parts.
- Event organizing teams may use the hashtag (i.e., #WICE22) to announce and share information on social platforms. Accordingly, attendees’ testimonies comprising their thoughts and observations will be considered.
- The event must be conducted during March, after which a deadline of 1 week will be given to prepare the contributions.
- Each team can submit only one entry by selecting one event category.
- Each team must submit their event’s evidence, including all the required documentation; otherwise, it will not be considered.
- It is mandatory for the teams to ensure the consent of the event hosts and speakers before submitting the videos/collages recording/picturing them.
- Participants can submit the video/collage files using the submission form below by filling in the necessary details :
Two award winners’ teams will be selected, and each winning team will receive a cash prize with the following distribution:
- 1st Place: USD $400 per team.
- 2nd Place: USD $300 per team.
In addition, one team out of the remaining will receive a consolation prize of USD $100 per team.
The funds will be transferred to one single person indicated by the team or to the local student branch (if the participants are part of one).
A certificate of participation will be given to every team participating in this contest.
Submission Deadline: April 22, 2022