The WICE ComSoc Standing Committee annual meeting was held on December 9, 2015 from 10:00 – 12:00 AM at the Omni Hotel, in conjunction with the IEEE ComSoc 2015 GLOBECOM Conference, San Diego, USA.
1. Welcome & Introduction – WICE Chair Octavia A. Dobre welcomed the members to the meeting. Attendees introduced themselves.
2. Minutes of ICC 2015 – Minutes from the ICC 2015 meeting were approved.
3. Report of the Chair –included information regarding the WICE executive committee for 2016-17, web site migration, social networks and mailing list, P&Ps, and the ComSoc Student Competition Program and the WICE representative. The presentation of the WICE Chair is available here.
4. WICE Awards – WICE awards were presented at Globecom 2015.
- WICE Outstanding Achievements Award: Muriel Medard, for outstanding contributions to the fields of network coding, wireless communications and optical networks.
- WICE Outstanding Service Award: Elena Neira, for exceptional contributions and demonstrated leadership to the Women in Communications Engineering community.
- WICE Mentorship Award: Vincent Poor, for exceptional commitment and contribution to training and mentoring of women in the Communications Engineering community.
5. WIE-WICE Panel on Global Innovation at Globecom 2015 –It was held on 8 December at Hilton Hotel with the following speakers:
- Susie Armstrong (Senior VP, Engineering, Qualcomm);
- Patti Robb (Head of Strategic IP and Advanced Paltform, IoT, Intel Corporation;
- Martha Dennis, Advisor to Emerging Technology Ventures;
- Meryem Simsek, Chair of IEEE ETC Tactile Internet SC; Research group leader at Technical University Dresden.
The Organizers from WICE were Sinem C. Ergen and Nada Philips.
6. WICE Workshop on Communications and Signal Processing 2016–It will be held on Dec. 4th (full day) at IEEE Globecom 2016, Washington DC. The Organizing committee is as follows: Octavia Dobre, Jean Armstrong, Katie Wilson, Urbashi Mitra, Maite Brand-Pearce, Shalinee Kishore, Sinem Coleri Ergen, Ana Garcia Armada, Nada Philip, Meryem Simsek, Meixia Tao. The format of the students participation, namely posters versus short introduction, was discussed.
7. Other Business – The possibility of organizing some event at ICC 2016 was discussed.
Adjourn – The meeting was adjourned at 12:00 AM. There were 11 people in attendance.